Everything is beautiful at the Portland (Oregon) Ballet’s “La Boutique Fantasque”

A wonderful family tradition to begin the Holiday Season




It is with great joy that I’m adding this information for those of you within the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area. Feel free to post this to other forums or blogs!

La Boutique Fantasque

Thanksgiving Weekend 2010
Friday, November 25 at 7:30pm
Saturday, November 26 at 2:30pm and 7:30pm
Sunday, November 27, 2010 at 1:00pm and 4:00pm

All performances at the Newmark Theatre
1111 SW Broadway
Portland, Oregon

Tickets -- Now on Sale!

Contact Ticketmaster outlets at:
http://www.ticketmaster.com/
503-224-4400
Also available at the box office of the Newmark

For additional information, please visit:

http://www.theportlandballet.org/

A few years ago, I found out that the Portland Ballet, an Academy and Youth Company, was going to dance my favorite ballet, “La Boutique Fantasque” (translated as “The Enchanted Toyshop”). I have loved this work since I was a young girl and believe it is even better than Tchaikovsky’s “Nutcracker” or “Swan Lake.” What’s more, I had never seen it performed any place I have ever lived, including Miami, Florida, and New York City and Boston, Massachusetts. Now that we live in Portland, Oregon, I’m proud to say that our paths have intersected with this energetic, youthful, and talented dancing group. Kudos to Artistic Director Nancy Davis and TPB owner Jim Lane.

On a winter day, my husband and I made arrangements to take our two young grandchildren to see the production at a local college. The music was recorded, and the stage was small, but I absolutely loved the young dancers and it was quite a thrill to actually see it being performed. We're going to see it by ourselves this time – and since I’m already a big fan, I know I’ll love it!

If you have a chance to see this charming ballet either here in Oregon or elsewhere, please take my advice and GO!

If you have never heard of “La Boutique Fantasque,” or live somewhere out of our area, I would encourage you to purchase a CD of this music and enjoy it that way. I wore out the cassette tape I had years ago, but now have purchased the ballet music on CDs by two different orchestras. I love to listen to the mp3 recordings while flying to magic destinations.

When I was younger than springtime in Miami, Florida, I discovered ballet music. My parents loved classical music. Mother played the piano, and Dad tried very hard on the violin. I am their only child.

Mostly, I listened to WVCG-AM (“The Voice of Coral Gables”) the only all-classical AM station at that time. Hosted by Bert Graulich, the show was called “Burnt Toast and Coffee.” I always thought that "Buttered Toast" would have been a better choice, but I wasn’t in charge! While other kids were loving Elvis and rock 'n' roll, I chose the lilting melodies of the older musicians. The music wafted through my car from the classical music station in Miami as I drove to North Miami High School, and then throughout my college years at the University of Miami.

The first ballet movie I ever saw was “The Red Shoes” with Moira Shearer. Like so many other young girls, I was completely captivated by the film.

I remember Maria Tallchief and other prima ballerinas. I had tried tap dancing as a child and it didn’t work out, but I’m still a lover of ballroom dancing. My dreams of having a child or grandchild who wanted to dance have not been realized, but I happily join the extended family of these talented young people bring ballet to life for others.